If you are in the food and beverage industry, you know that not only do you have to produce quality products but also manage your operations end-to-end to be profitable. Which means you have to be mindful of the changing trends and customer demands in the first place. Once you have an idea of what they want, then it comes down to sourcing the right ingredients and then moves on to pricing the product. With these steps done, you can then move on to production keeping in mind the demands of the market and your plant capacity. After which, the critical step of quality control and testing comes into place and thereon the distribution aspect which will have a focus on logistics.
While this is the logical sequence of food manufacturing, it is a process that needs to be organized well to ensure that operations are on track, and produce quality products profitably. And ERP solutions can help you with each of the stages. Here is how it works:
- The design stage: At this stage, you need to manage your recipe and ensure that it is in tune with the market demands. A food solution that enables single and multiple level recipes storing along with the ingredient’s portions, the required processes, and other instructions can help you at this stage.
- Pricing it right: Pricing is not just cost plus profit margins in the food industry. You will need to have single and multi-level pricing as well as flexible management of pricing to meet with the actual value as well as the perceived value that customers have from the product.
- Sourcing success: While you are sourcing food ingredients, you must be aware of the origin of the ingredient as well as the way it has been produced as this is increasingly becoming important to customers. With an optimum food solution, you can implement quarantine conditions on food items that have not been tested and qualified. In the same way you can also have the scheduling functionality to use the older lots first, lot quality management, and assessment.
- Production processes: The production stage is where you can differentiate yourself with nutritional analysis to ensure that the food is produced as per the right recipe and quality. You can also use features like quick planner to manage demand and supply. There is also batch production management and production recording to ensure that the resources are planned, and the food is prepared without compromising quality.
- Quality control: Quality is not only essential to meet compliance and regulatory requirements but also to ensure that you build and maintain your reputation with customers. The food quality control feature of your solution can help you perform quality testing and reporting.
- Logical logistics: The food industry is based on the reputation of the company that produces the food. The various pillars that are vital to help build and maintain the reputation are production, quality, and logistics. Logistics is the aspect that can help you with customer-oriented distribution, management of sales orders, managing delivery trips, and container management.
As you can see, a food manufacturing solution can help you digitally transform your business and help you stay ahead of the competition.